Sunday 26 October 2008

That is one hellava lump of concrete!!!!





















Last Saturday we went to Simon's house to help clear their jungle of a garden.
Simon had ordered a skip and arranged for everyone to go over to help.
So this Saturday we went back to help do some more.
I wasn't going to go this week, because I just can't do anything at the moment with my knee, the way it is.
But Simon said "come over, you can make the tea, and do the running about, and maybe take Luke to have his haircut." So I went.
It was bitterly cold, windy, and we had the occasional bit of drizzle.

As you can see from the photos everyone worked hard. I lost count of the number of wheelbarrows of dirt and rubbish that was carried out to the skip.

In the jungle, buried, they found a double size mattress, a motorbike which was in bits, and an armchair, and a very very long scaffolding pipe thingy. Loads and loads of toys were also found and promptly put in the skip.

Concrete stumps were dug out, and tree roots also. Old fence was removed and Adam and Bobby had a great time helping with the digging and raking.
Bobby loved having his photo taken, and kept coming asking me to show him Bobby on the camera.!! Priceless.
Luke was at his other Grandads, so wasn't there to help. We found out later that George had been ringing for someone to pick him and Luke up so they could come and help. But we didn't hear the phone.!!!

Later in the afternoon we had a bonfire and burned the chair and some of the undergrowth, and it was looking much better.

At dinner time we stopped and shared some chip butties, which I think we all thoroughly enjoyed, along with lots of cups of tea, and some beer for the men of course.

We did have to go to the local B&Q, to purchase a long handled axe, a hacksaw, and a lump hammer.

We were ready to pack up and come home by 5pm, we had arrived at 10am and everyone had worked nonstop really and were really tired and worn out.
But then Simon decided that maybe we just had time to dig out the line post, which for some reason was in the middle of the garden.
Kelly intends to have a rotary line so the line post was surplus to requirements.

"It will only take an hour" Simon said. Famous last words.

Two hours later, and after digging down more than 2 feet in thick clay soil, and probably as far across again, they finally had it out.
I have never seen such a hellava lump of concrete in my life. Just to hold up a line post. It was unbelievable.!!! Unfortunately it was so heavy they can't pick it up or get it to the skip.
I think they will have to try and break it up into smaller pieces.
That's a job for next Saturday.
Simon is also going to try and hire a cultivator for next week, which will dig it over and level it in no time at all.
It's all coming together and soon Luke and Bobby will have a nice garden to play in.
Can't wait to see it finished.
I thoroughly enjoyed my Saturday, even though I didn't do anything.!!!
But I think it was because most of the family were together and I think that makes all the difference. Don't you.???
Have a great day.
Hugs
Carol

































































































































8 comments:

  1. Hi we sawed our ones off when we got rit of of greeny poles as we call them up here it is such a big job to take four out. Looking forward to seeing the garden when its finished. Love Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, it reminds of the time when we took on the mammoth task of garden clearing. We found an old matteress too and amongst the rubbish we found a pair of men`s pyjama bottoms...lol!I love the photos in your sidebar. What a tribute to your family. :o)

    Love Sandra xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its amazing what you can find in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was huge and whoever put it there didn't want it to fall down.
    Take care, Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like that was a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brought back many memeories for me of garden clearing in the past I have done Carol.Make no wonder my bones ache now LOL!! Those old concrete washing line poles take some digging up.OUCH my back along with others who helped me in those days.Looks like everyone did there share.All the hard work will be worth it when you are all sat relaxing in the finished garden in the future.Well done everyone..Your family pictures are wonderful.Have a lovely week ahead.Tell the guys I hope there backs arn't too brokeand soon heal He-He.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy that looked like hard work...whew..wishing you a good week..Hugs,TerryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. My relationship has been restored,


    My Ex-boyfriend is back after he broke up with me.


    I am the happiest lady on earth,


    Never too late to fix your broken heart.


    You can still get your lover back...


    Fix broken relationship/marriage...


    Thanks R.buckler11@gmail.com...............

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Feel free to leave a comment.